Saturday 16 March 2013

Nudes, nudes, nudes









I need a sunny weekend to take photos. I mean, to take better, brighter photos.

Lately I find that I really do like mixing pencil and watercolour. I think that it allows the paint to be less descriptive. As in, it's more impressionistic to have lines that do the job of capturing form, and to have the paint be less attached to the figure. Pencil does double duty in that it's also more expressive - of movement, and of capturing some of the expected shapes i.e. a foot or a hand, a curve, hair, etc. that the viewer looks for. By using pencil for this, it frees paint to be looser. As in, look at this colour and this light as belonging to the figure, but transcending him or her. The pencil is there for design purposes, for drawing, and I think it's nice to have exact, graphic forms. There's this push and pull between wanting to be exact and wanting to be carried away with impressions, and this might be a way to get both without compromise. It seems better to embrace both of these conflicting draws than to try to resolve and pick one or the other, because how could I ever decide?

No comments:

Post a Comment